Sunday, February 15, 2009

Last Word on Dilla

I discovered Dilla in the odd way that many of us discovered Dilla. We found out that many of our favorite Hip Hop joints had been produced or co-produced by him. "Stakes is High," "Runnin" and "Got til It's Gone" were favorites of mine long before I knew who Dilla was. The dude had magic. Aint no other way to explain how he single-handedly elevated the game. He was a mixture of Hip-Hops greatest producers. Pete Rock, Dr. Dre, DJ Premier, Ali Shaheed Muhammad and Q-Tip. He even had some Prince and Quincy Jones up in there. Dilla could do anything and he did. Nobody could make music with so much soul but so much thump at the same time. Dilla made you feel it in ya spirit and in ya chest. He had a way of taking you to another world. When you have the guys that you've idolized for years, trying to do what you do you've made it. Dilla was a genius. A genius that many are STILL trying to figure out and emulate. He took you to where ever he wanted to take you. From the club, to your car to outer-space. Dude made a life-time of music in such a short span. Dilla didn't even get to see the level of respect and fame that he should have, but he has a faithful cult following. I can say that I share a deep love for this music with Dilla. He actually made me realize that if I dig deep enough I really can affect peoples lives with my music by giving them the deepest part of me.

2 comments:

  1. That's deep O never knew that about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dilla got me when he took this Dionne Warwick tune and added beats and bass underneath. They took it off You tube! Damn!
    Jaycee

    ReplyDelete